Captain George Durie

Back Home Up

Home
Up
Durie History
Arms & Tartan
Duries Worldwide
Durie Genealogy
Durie Bookshelf
Durie Merchandise
News and Newsletters
Durie Gallery
Archive Materials
Contact
Site Map and Search
Useful Links
Legal & Copyright
Privacy Policy

 

Captain George Durie (1640-1703)

5th of Craigluscar, Provost of Dunfermline

George was the son of James Durie of Netherton and Craigluscar and Christian Durie (her maiden name, daughter of Robert Durie of Grange and Christian Rutherford). His part of the Luscar lands was afterwards known as “Stobie’s Luscar”.

The rank refers to his captaincy in the Scots Guards of Louis XIV. He was elected Provost of Dunfermline in 1664, 1665, 1685 and possibly at other times, according to Dunfermline Burgh Records, including in 1687.George_Durie_1495-1572

He was the first Durie to matriculate a coat of arms – along with his cousin and in-law Durie of Grange – in the newly-instigated Public Register of All Arms in 1672.

Captain George had no sons by his wife Jonet Currie (his daughter Christine or Grizel, b. 1668, married a Bowman) and he was succeeded as 6th of Craigluscar by his brother, John Durie (1641-1726).

This picture, taken from a portrait belonging to Andrew Durie of Durie, was for some time thought to be of Abbot George Durie but has recently been authenticated as that of Captain George Durie.

Back Home Up

Copyright ©2019 Bruce Durie & Durie Family Association. Maintained by Bruce Durie